Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Wednesday, a Sad-News Day

I just sort of had the rug pulled out from under me. I just learned that my Cottey roommate's older child passed away from a long fight with colon cancer. He was just a little older than our Melany...so mid 50s. Just so sad to lose someone so young...hard for me to imagine what my roommate and her family are going through and feeling just now. And, just as I was starting to type this, I got a phone call from my former "boss" (She has never liked me to call her that!). The owner of the Montessori School where I taught for 27 years and where my children went to preschool and kindergarten...Melany started at the school at 3-1/2 (the Fall after we moved back to Tullahoma from California) and Nathan at 2-1/2. So she has been in our lives for a very long time...around 50 years! She just called to let me know that she will be moving away from Tullahoma next week. This wasn't a surprise as I had heard about her move "through the grape vine." But it is hard to think that she won't just be across town from us...even though we rarely see each other these days. She and her husband are moving to a retirement community closer to their girls. There is one good thing about technology these days...even though there are miles between you and family and friends, they can be kept close via the phones of this day and age. We can still pick up the phone and call and keep up with each other...perhaps even more than we do now! How phones have changed since we married...communication wasn't as easy as it is today when I moved 1800 miles away from my family...at first we would gather change and go to a phone booth near the Post Office to call "home." Then when we got a phone, we still didn't call all that often and we were always trying to call when the rates were at the lowest...my folks would call me one week and I would call them the next...except during the Christmas season and then I would call when I felt like it and called them "'Tis the Season" calls...where my use of 'Tis the season originated. We have had a fairly quiet day. Woody did his usual puzzles plus quite a few more...he finished up one of the calendar Scrabble daily puzzles that he got for Christmas...or his birthday. He has watched TV and dozed...but mainly did LOTS of puzzles. I worked on my recipe notebooks today. I am much closer to finished...all are in a notebook. I am just fine tuning one of the notebooks a bit more. For lunch I made Shrimp Scampi...well, for my lunch, as Woody isn't "into" shrimp these days. So he had Sweet 'n Sour Pork. He said that it is hard to beat it...so guess he has enjoyed it while it lasted. We had another spring-like day...just beautiful. I think that tomorrow will be another pretty day and then rain is predicted for the end of the week and weekend. We'll see if we get it...the last time it was predicted, it missed us. To be continued! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment