Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Raining Leaves!

There were times today that it literally looked like it was raining leaves. Nathan, Kathy and some of the children worked on raking/blowing the leaves in our two front yards. It wasn't long after they completed the task that it was almost impossible to tell that the yards had been just about bare of leaves. Woody and I both got up really early. I headed straight to work getting the decorating done in the dining room and Woody headed off for a walk as the temp was milder than it had been lately. I got the dining room done pretty quickly and then told Woody that I was just about ready for the big tree box. He got it for me and not long after that I started putting it together (75 separate branches!). I got about half of the branches put in and I headed off to run a couple of errands. I came back ready for lunch. It was good that the soup was all made and all we had to do was warm a bowl for each of us. Then it was back to the tree. Joy came over and not long after that Graham came over. They were both very good helpers and we made short order of getting the rest of the tree together. I fluffed branches, Joy carried branches to Graham, and Graham put the branches in until they got too high for him to reach and then I finished putting those rows of branches in. I had chicken simmering as I need chicken broth for my Thanksgiving cooking...so now have chicken for a casserole or salad or soup and also have broth to cook with. The first of my Thanksgiving cooking has begun! Woody has the pecans shelled for our pecan pie and sweet potato casserole. I will do a little more cooking tomorrow...but can finish up around the house before I get too involved in cooking since we won't have our feast till Friday. While the broth was simmering, Elijah joined us and he and Joy played for a while and Graham and I got started on hanging ornaments on the tree. In a while, Joy and Elijah decided that they wanted to help with ornaments. They were all such great helps! Abigail and Esther came over after they got back from the store and they helped too. It was a bit of a challenge keeping up with five of them going through boxes of ornaments as quick as a wink! At the moment the living room looks a bit like a whirlwind has gone through...what with little boxes, tissue paper, etc.!I don't think that ornaments have ever gotten put on the tree faster! Little Elijah was so cute...first he figured out how to put ornament hangers on the ornaments he was putting on the tree...a big accomplishment for the little guy! Then he was just so pleased when he hung each ornament. Once he got it on a branch, he would stand back and clap! So sweet! Fun day! Joy made the statement that some day she would be the one having help with her tree (think that she was thinking ahead to being a grandmother and living next to her grandchildren!). They all wanted to know if there was a story for the ornament they were hanging. I shared lots of stories...perhaps just telling them who gave us the ornament or perhaps a little lengthier tale about how it was acquired. We had a fun afternoon and the tree is looking great! Woody has walked to the prayer room at church this evening. I'm about to head down to watch Dancing With the Stars. Hope that I can stay awake...I fell asleep when downloading photos just a few minutes ago.

1 comment: