Monday, November 5, 2012

When You Get Mr. Snowman Out...

When I got up this morning, Woody was all ready to help me get things out of the Christmas closet so that I could get going on the decorating. I decided that I wanted to start with Mr. Snowman. He graces our fireplace hearth during the cold winter months...he is both a decoration and also a draft dodger for the fireplace doors. I "thought" that would be one of the easier decorating jobs. Vacuum off the hearth and place him. Well....hours later he is still not sitting on the hearth and I have worked all day. I decided that before I put him down that I should clean in the fire place space...webs and dead wasps...up the vacuum they went. Then I decided that I should move the things on the mantel off before I put him down. That meant finding places for the items on the mantel. I store part of them on the sun porch. Well, I needed to clean up the area out there so I would have a place for these things. When I moved everything to one side of the room so I could vacuum and mop the floor, I realized that I wanted to vacuum out the window sills. Well, while everything was out from in front of the windows...seemed like a good time to wash those windows. Then I mopped the floor. While that dried I washed all the panes on the back door inside and out. Then I moved everything back into place on the one side and got the things off the mantel that go on the table out there. Got those placed. I added a bit of star wire-tinsel to a couple of things and then was too tired to do the rest of the room. Tomorrow is another day! I went upstairs and got the spot ready for the model ship that my grandfather built that resides on the mantel except at Christmas time. Woody picked up the ship and I picked up the base and we carried those upstairs and got them put up. The mantel still isn't clear...almost...but that will have to wait for another day too as I am in need of rest. I fixed our supper...a new recipe: Sloppy Janes (rather than Sloppy Joes). The Janes are made with ground turkey and Joes are made with ground beef. They were very tasty. We ate the meat mixture in whole wheat pita bread and also had some thinly sliced pan fried potatoes. And, that is it for me for the day. My back is killing me...not a good beginning to my decorating marathon! Woody has ordered me to do nothing for the rest of the evening as I was starting to have back spasms a little while ago. So I am posting now and then I'm going to go rest. Hopefully tomorrow is another day and I'll be back in the swing of things. All this to show that when I start something that seems simple...it always seems to lead to a lot more than planned! Woody took a four-mile walk mid-morning. Then after lunch he ran a couple of errands. Tonight's photo shows what he came home with for me! They are just beautiful...my favorite flower...yellow roses! He has given me many over the years. I was often the envy of the girls in my dorm when I was the recipient of beautiful yellow roses. Such a nice surprise this afternoon. The vase I arranged them in was a gift from my mother and father when we got engaged...vase color chosen specifically because Woody gave me yellow roses. Woody has been so helpful to me today by going and getting things that I needed and taking things one place or another. Now, I'm off to rest so I will be able to get Mr. Snowman placed on the hearth tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment