Saturday, July 13, 2013

Plans Coming Along!

At least the plans for the first 1 1/2-1 3/4 days of our trip--the part of the trip that I am most looking forward to! I just finalized our reservations for our night's stay in Williamsburg. I am really excited. I have had a lot of experiences in Williamsburg, but have never stayed in one of the historical homes. And, I just made a reservation to do just that! I am very excited to say the least. Tonight's photo is a scan of a picture that I took of the chimney line/roof lines of some of the historic homes on the trip that I made in December 1999 at the time of the Grand Illumination. I was working at that time at the preschool Montessori here in town. The owner of the school's daughter went to college at William and Mary and we always said that we would go visit her while she was there. And, early in December 1999 she and I did just that. It was at the time when all the Colonial homes have their doors decorated plus being their Grand Illumination time. We took a tour of homes...so got to go into some of the private residences in the historical area...something that I had always wanted to do. At that time I purchased a Patriot's Pass that is good for admission for a year. So in 2000, Woody and I went back. The BEST of my experiences that trip was that we got to go to the Dewitt-Wallace Museum and see the needlework samplers...this was a private tour...just for Woody and me...our museum docent opened the drawers that the samplers are stored in so I could see. What an experience! And, that was the last time that we had been. It was before me having a digital camera...much less the kind of cameras that I have today. So I have been wishing to go back to be able to take pictures with my digital cameras. My first trip to Williamsburg was back in 1981 when we took the children. That was a wonderful trip too. The kids were just the perfect age (9 and 11) to be able to enjoy all the things that Williamsburg had for children at that time. Woody doesn't quite understand why I want to keep going back when there is so much of our country that we haven't seen...but Williamsburg definitely keeps calling me back. Tonight's photo is a scan of one of the photos that I took in Dec. 1999--it is one of my rejects that didn't make it into the scrapbook, but it shows the type of photos that I like to take at Williamsburg: architectural features, gardens, of course the historical characters who wander the streets, etc. We will see what my camera can capture in the few hours that we will be there. It is a lengthy drive...but I am hoping that we will make it before dark so we can wander the colonial streets in the evening...then get up the next morning and take pictures to my heart's content till we need to be on our way. I got out my Williamsburg guidebooks from 1981 and 1999 and poured over them today...getting my head back into the 18th century!!! Woody had a pretty normal Saturday for him. He got up and walked six miles. Later in the morning he went to the library and ran an errand. And, he has done some mowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment