Monday, October 29, 2018

Deja Vu All Over Again!














And, here we sit in a hospital room at Vanderbilt.  I emailed a picture of Woody's leg to Dr. Holt late yesterday afternoon.  She emailed us back a couple of hours later telling him to come to her clinic at noon today and that she was probably going to enter him into the hospital for IV antibiotics.  We think that it is cellulitis.  They are doing lab work to try to find out what kind of infection it is.  The infectious disease doctor came in and drew around the place on his leg so they can see if it responds to the antibiotics.  He is on several kinds of antibiotics.  One IV bag is finished and they brought in another of another kind and he is taking an antibiotic by mouth.  Should cure what ails him!  Well, the next IV is finished...beeping once again.

Nathan drove us here and went home after we found out if I could stay in Woody's room.  I have a little cubbyhole corner with a recliner in it.  They offered to bring me a cot, but I told them that the recliner was better for me.  Dinner was questionable...I figured that it would be hard to keep on his diet in here.  We asked for a renal diet but he got a regular...so I pretty much ate it...he could eat the half apricot, several cucumbers, the leaf lettuce.  All the rest were "no-no's"...tomatoes, potatoes, turkey, chocolate pudding...so I helped him clean his plate.  Oh, it also included cooked spinach...another "no-no."  I only ate a bite of the spinach...not the best!  He could have eaten the roll, but they left it off his tray!  He says that he got enough?

We will sit here till released!  One nurse said that the room we are in says that they don't expect him to stay here long...but then the next said that it takes a couple of days for some of the cultures to come back.  So I don't know if that tells us about length of time or not.  They want to see response pretty quickly.  Dr. Holt is still wondering if there is a problem deeper.  She did take X-rays today to make sure that nothing shows broken in there.  They had X-rayed his leg when we were here two weeks ago. She just wanted to be extra cautious.  If things don't start clearing up quickly with these strong antibiotics then she wants him to have an MRI.

Life is always an adventure!  Stay tuned for the next installment!  We'll still be here...I'm sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment