Friday, October 26, 2018

Liquid Gold...Again!

This is the second time this week that I have made "liquid gold" = broth/stock.  I made chicken stock on Sunday and then today I made vegetable broth.  It's easier and less messy to make vegetable broth...no fat to have to let rise and cool so it can be skimmed off (this broth can be used immediately) and no greasy chicken to have debone!  All I have to do is dump the veggies that cooked all afternoon into the compost pile.  I used almost all the veggie broth that I made for a new soup recipe. (Note to my sister: Cheryl, I got it out of the Gooseberry Soup cookbook...I think that you gave it to us some years back...one of their small publications.)  This recipe is definitely different than any soup recipe that I have made before it is Apple-Barley Soup...rather tasty but not exactly what you expect a soup to taste like...a little sweet and a little tangy.  The chunks that look like potatoes are apples.  It also has carrots and thinly sliced onions...then the veggie broth and then it's supposed to have apple cider...well, "it's soup" (a saying that we often say about our soup recipes when we tweak them a bit) so I put in cranberry juice which is part apple juice.  I just tried a small bowl of it and it will do to add to our cookbook of our "Woody friendly" recipes!  It was one of the very few that all ingredients that were in were okay for Woody to eat.

Woody spent most of his morning running errands either for us or for his friend.  He got our groceries and stopped to pick up another small light tube for one of our under the cabinet light fixtures...we had just replaced one on the other side of the sink last week...well, Nathan did the replacing...one of his "sonny-do" jobs!  Now we have another for him to replace, though he doesn't know it yet. Woody was pretty worn out by the time he got our shopping done and then went on errands with his friend who has no transportation.

It has been a drizzly day all day.  I can hear it on the roof as I am typing.  It was pretty squishy underfoot when I went out to get parsley and thyme for our vegetable broth.  I have worked on getting everything together for tomorrow's all day quilting gathering.  I have quite a few small projects to work on. I have been putting them in individual plastic bags so all things needed for each one will be right there when I decide to do each one.  I still have to pack everything up and get my sewing machine ready to go.  I'm hoping to get several Christmas gifts completed tomorrow.  And, those that I don't get completed then they will be ready to work on here at home.  At least Christmas sewing will be more underway. I about choked when I realized that Christmas was two months from yesterday!  And, time is just flying!

Woody has continued to work on his Sunday School lesson today, and has watched some TV and also done some reading and has helped me with some of the cooking dishes.  Georgia Kitty continues to improve and become more at home in our house.  She slept on my lap a couple of times today and today staked out the far end of the couch in the living room for most of the afternoon and slept for a while on the family room couch.  She doesn't seem too particular as to where she sleeps...except she usually does find a place where there is a pillow behind her to snuggle into.  I spent a good part of the day going up and down the stairs doing wash.  I think that I have done four loads...all are put away except for the last load that is still in the dryer...and Georgia has gone out on her porch so if she doesn't come back in, the I won't disturb her.  The clothes in the dryer can wait till tomorrow.  Plus I am tired of carrying clothes up and down the stairs!  I'm pretty tired this evening and I still have quite a bit of packing up to do!  Guess I had better go rest my back for a few minutes and then get back to gathering up sewing necessities and getting them packed into our laundry basket to carry with me tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment