Saturday, December 4, 2021

Busy Saturday…Must be “‘Tis the Season”

Looks like the pictures are posting tonight. I will go back and see if I can get last night's to post. Tonight's photo is a tradition for me to post on Facebook...my school friends and also my present day friends and also some of my cyberfriends all look forward to me posting and say that they look forward to it being posted. This is Christmas 1957...a momentous one, but as we enjoyed trimming the tree, we had no idea what was to come in a couple of weeks. I was nine and Cheryl was two. On Christmas Eve that year, my parents were in a very serious head-on collision. Daddy decided that he wanted to go out for coffee at a local restaurant, The Range, before he put together gifts for my sister and me. He and Mother went and left us at home with our grandfather. The problem arose when the restaurant wasn't open its usual hours due to it being Christmas Eve, so Daddy decided that they would venture on down the road a bit and see if another restaurant was open. At this time there were very few street lights on the stretch of the main road that they were on. It is thought that our car's lights drew the attention of the drunk driver and he headed across to their side of the road. Daddy wasn't hurt as badly as Mother...probably because of the steering wheel...remember at that time...no seatbelts...Daddy suffered broken ribs, but Mother suffered major head injuries...we were never sure if she hit the dash board, which at that tine were not padded or if she was thrown into the rearview mirror. She was in the hospital for weeks. That night there was a surgeon close by who was able to operate on her...it was a miracle that she wasn't killed or at the least brain injured...but all's well that ends well...she ended living to almost 99! But it was a traumatic Christmas to say the least! Oh, another miracle...one of my good friend's father was the local mortician and ambulance driver. He and his family had been at a family gathering that night and he had had a call for his ambulance so he ended up driving the ambulance to the party. He and his daughter drove home in the ambulance and came upon on Mother and Daddy's accident and took her to the hospital. Small town! Going back to the good memories from this picture...some years back, when this photo came to light, was when I realized that I really did live in the "Leave It To Beaver" era! Such good times and such good memories...most of the time! Tonight I am a little late blogging not because I forgot, but because I needed to get Woody's dialysis going a little earlier because we have to leave early in the morning for church. Also, I guess it is time for us to move the time earlier every night until we are at 6pm starting for Tuesday night so we can leave on time to get to Vanderbilt by 7am on Wednesday. His treatments are taking at least 10 hours these days and most days quite a few more minutes are added on to the hours...yesterday's took 10 hours and 45 minutes...depends on how many alarms he gets during the drains! It's not something that we can time precisely! It will be touch and go about getting off by 5:30 at the latest on Wednesday morning. Woody has enjoyed the football diversions today...something different for him to watch on Saturdays and Sundays. Learned some exciting news a little while ago...our Tullahoma Wildcat's won the high school state football championship today...first time in the history of the school. Lots are excited about it. I got a good amount of our Christmas shopping done this morning...online...just have the three oldest grands to buy for and their parents! I just have to wait for the rest's gifts to be delivered this coming week and the next. Now it is time for me to get back either to my machine embroidering or my cross stitching...need to do both! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment