Monday, January 30, 2023

Home After Almost Two Months Away!

It has been quite a day! Nathan and I headed to Nashville around 9am with the intent to bring Woody home. Once we were on the Interstate I called/texted the head nurse and social worker at Woody's rehab with our plans to have him released. A couple of incidences over the last week added in with other things just told me that it was time for him to come home. The final straw for me was when Infound out that Woody was never brought his supper on Saturday night and when Woody brought it to the attention of a couple of his care givers all that was said was that the kitchen was closed. I told them today that he just can't afford to miss any meals! So that added on to other errors on their part cinched it for me that I was going to go along with Woody's wish to leave today after dialysis. It took us a couple of hours after dialysis before we got him out of there, but we were successful. He was discharged AMA...against medical advice which meant, according to them, that they wouldn't set up home health care or wound care for him. But I think that our reasons for leaving were understood as valid and someone decided that they couldn't send us away without home care...so that is being set up! I guess this is a case of the squeaky wheel getting the grease/attention. And, I was to the point that I couldn't in good conscience leave him there...which I told them. All these conversations were handled in a pleasant way on both sides. We finally got everything that we needed and were on our way home around 1:30pm. Nathan and I got him in the house...transferring from car to wheelchair went fairly well. He wanted to go into the bathroom as soon as we got in the house. His strength was a bit taxed getting up off the toilet...but he finally made it back into the wheelchair with Nathan supporting him a bit. He was very glad to once again sit in his own recliner. He did get sick to his stomach not long after Nathan left...but we think that it was from all the exersion from moving around. He has been fine since he got sick. He wanted to be a part of the prayer meeting tonight so we invited the group to come over to our house. That worked fine and Woody was glad to be a part of this small group once again. When they left, he maneuvered, by himself, from the recliner to the couch. He got himself settled in the couch the way he likes to sleep and was fast asleep before I got out of the room! I'm hoping that he has a good night's sleep! I guess this tale is still "to be continued," and, now we will have his home recovery time! He is very glad to be home...He left our house at 2am, or some such, on December 9th and hasn't returned until today, January 30...about a week less than two months! That's a long time! He will start back on home hemodialysis on Wednesday. He had dialysis today and we will take tomorrow off to get organized and then start back on home hemo on Wednesday. Davida, one of our Fresenius Kidney nurses, is going to come over to help refresh me on all I have to do...my two month vacation is just about over! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment