Thursday, January 19, 2023

Twilight Zone?!?

I'm not sure I can do justice to the telling of what has gone on since I blogged last night! Around 8:30-9:00pm last night, I filled out the online forms for Woody's appointment with the infectious disease doctor this afternoon. I got to a point in the forms that they were asking certain questions about how Woody was feeling, problems, etc. that he was having right then, so I called him to ask him those questions. He answered the phone. He answered the questions that I had and we talked for a few minutes. I hung up submitted the online forms and shut iPad down for the evening. I had been dozing off and on after that, and was surprised when I got a call from Vanderbilt. A lady was asking me several of the same questions that I had just answered and I told her I had just filled out online forms with same questions and she said she had to ask them again. The one strange thing...other than the time to be calling me...was that she asked if they could text messages to my cell phone. I told her "yes," but wondered why! We hung up. And, not long after that I got a message that Woody had an appointment at the Vanderbilt ER...this did not compute in my brain. I just told myself that I would get it straightened out in the morning. Then I was texted some doctors' names and nurses, etc...that texting went on till close to 11pm. I just couldn't figure out what all this had to do with today's appointment. This morning I opened ip email fairly early and found an email about information in our MyHealthatVandy app. Opened that up and realized that something was going on at Vandy ER and that he had been taken there last night shortly after we hung up from talking. It seems that his blood work had come back with a very low hemoglobin reading and he needed a blood transfusion. He got his first unit of blood in the middle of the night and then Woody said they waited six hours to decide that he needed another! While all this was happening I was in the background trying to contact folk...about whether he would be able to make his appointment, about transport, about what was going on, about canceling transport, about having to figure out transport to get him home, etc., etc. It has been a very confusing day for both of us. Woody just got back to rehab a little after 5;30pm. I have talked with him. His comment was that they kidnapped him last night and wouldn't tell him what was going on! I told him that I had no idea that the call I got asking questions after 10pm had anything to do with a hospital visit. So we were both pretty clueless and left to figure out things for ourselves! I did get a call from the rehab early this morning, shortly after I had pieced things together. She said that she didn't call last night because it was so late...not sure that is the way I want it, if there is a next time. All would have made way more sense, if I had been told as they were whisking him away! I talked to Woody's ER nurse and she said she would get back to me when they decided how to handle the afternoon appointment. I needed to know if he would get back to rehab in time to take transport back to Vandy for his appointment. Well, she never called back, so I finally called her at noon. She didn't answer her phone that call...so I waited till 1pm. I did get her then and she told me that he had been given a second unit of blood and they would release him in time to get to his appointment...but not back to rehab in time for transport...they would take him to his appointment via wheelchair. The next problem arose about how to get him back to rehab. Rehab could transport only to and from...could not bring him back from an appointment they didn't take him to! Vanderbilt discharged him prior to his appointment so they really didn't have any responsibility to get him back to rehab. They did take on getting him to his appointment. I had gone back and forth so much with both rehab and Vandy that I finally gave a rehab contact to the Vandy contact and let them duke it out! Rehab said that it was definitely in Vandy's court to transport him back. And, it did end up Vandy's responsibility. They gave Woody a phone number to call transport when Woody got through with his appointment with the infectious disease doctor. Woody does not have a phone, but must have gotten someone in doctor's office to make the call for him...because he did get back to rehab a little after 5:30pm. From Woody's account it sounded like the transport back wasn't the greatest experience! I'm sure he can add lots to this "story!" So much has happened I'm not real clear on what infectious disease doctor said/did. I think she may have tweaked his medicine a bit and wants to see him in a month. I think the rest of the experiences of the day overshadowed the mild mannered appointment! I hope that my post-blogging time is calmer for both Woody and me tonight! To be continued! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment