Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Quite a Day!

We got up and we all had breakfast together. Then Melany and I took off for Nashville a little after seven. What is is usually an hour drive took us 1-1/2 hours. Woody was at dialysis and as it neared his appointment time we had his nurse check on him and came back saying that they were taking him off early. He got back to the room just a little before the appointment time...or what we planned to be the appointment time. We kept being told that it wasn't time to check in. I finally called a number to check on what was going on. They checked and said that we were in the virtual waiting room. So we waited a long while more and then called a different number that I found that said to call it if we had waited more than ten minutes! At that point it had been around two hours! That person said that he would check and took my number so someone could call. Well, a call never happened. So at the almost three hour wait, I called the last number I had called and she said that I was no longer in the waiting room...that I must have logged off. I assured her that I hadn't...that I was watching to stay on and also watching my power on my iPad wane! She said that she would make amother appointment another day or later today. We opted for the later time today, though, not happily on my part! But in that time we waited we saw lots of Woody's care team, a good thing! The wound care team came in...this time with a physician who specializes in wounds.They are really working with the two pressure wounds and his one place on his leg that he went to the hospital for almost five weeks ago and ended up having gall bladder surgery. Guess we have come full circle and are back to wound on the leg! Very impressed with the wound care team. While waiting for 3:30 to arrive, we also saw two from his PT team. They insist that he can put no weight on his right leg...so I made up my mind to contact Dr. Holt to see if she would lift that as it is holding him back for regaining strength. On our way home Dr. Holt's office called and I explained circumstances...that his leg is no worse than it was a year or more ago and that he has adapted his gait using the walker to very carefully use that leg as little as possible. She will check with Dr. Holt and see what she is willing to do with her orders of non-weight-bearing. She has to fax any orders to the rehabilation place. Also they are supposed to call me. He went to PT for a very short time and got back shortly before his telemed appt. But while he was out of the room, we finally got the social worker, a head nurse, discharge person to come in to talk to us. it was funny how they finally ALL coverged on Melany and me. We had tried several times today tried to get someone to come in to talk and give us a progress report...at that point unsuccessfully! But when we told the PT people that Woody thought he was going home today...PT texted some if the powers that be and just like that, they were in our room. They thought that I, also, thought he was going home today! Best misunderstood statement of the day! They were so relieved when they found out that I knew he wasn't ready! Melany told them that I had told Woody that he was delusional if he thought he was ready to come home! They all laughed with relief at that statement. Anyway, I learned more about length of time allowed for rehab by Medicare (100 days). I now know phone numbers to call, if I have questions. But they said that he isn't ready...both for rehab and wound healing reasons. They say they evaluate weekly and make decisions about treatment and progression. I will say, we saw progression today. He sat up on the side of the bed, by himself, to eat lunch. He pretty much transferred from wheel chair to bed...care partner allowed him to...though probably shouldn't have! But Woody was happy to do it! When we finally got his telemed appt, it was very cut and dry...not much to it. He is through with his surgeons unless he has a problem. The late appointment made us get back to Melany's when dark was closing in so they have an overnight guest again tonight. Another problem...it looks like I will be traveling home in the rain tomorrow...that doesn't make me very happy! Oh, well! To be continued! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment