Thursday, March 29, 2012

Remembering...

One of the things that my mother was known for was her chicken collection. This past Christmas my sister gave us these chickens to add to our gardens. She said that it was a reminder of Mother. I had been waiting till Spring to put them out and decided that today was a good day to place them in our yard. Mother died a year ago today...so she has been in my thoughts a lot today.

Woody once again got his exercise in the yard. He mowed and did some mulching and other odds and ends around the yard. It's good that he doesn't have the spring allergies that I have...I don't think that he would survive being outside as much as he has been. The pollen is just so very thick...you can hardly tell what color our cars are there is so much pollen on them.

I ran several errands this morning. Our church has a really special program--ESL (English as a Second Language). I had mentioned a while back to one of my friends who works in the program that I was getting ready to get rid of my Martha Stewart Living magazines. She mentioned that the ladies in the program would love to have them to look at. So today I loaded up the magazines and took them to church where the ESL program was in full swing. I hope that these magazines are enjoyed by the ladies. These magazines were another memory of my mother. She gave us the subscription for our anniversary for quite a few years. I then went on to WalMart to pick up an over-the-counter medication that I take and picked up some canned tomatoes to make a new recipe for Marinara Sauce. I found this recipe on a recipe app for my iPad. The neat thing about this app was that for each recipe you can click on it and it will give you a shopping list of everything that you will need for the recipe. This recipe turned out to be very good and it made a large amount so I have frozen some for when my sister is here. I browned ground beef and made it a meat sauce for our supper. We both gave this recipe a "thumbs up." So I have bookmarked this recipe in my iPad. This recipe took most of the afternoon so I haven't done a lot around the house today. But, I guess, on a day that I have had Mother so much on my mind, it was appropriate to spend a lot of time cooking...since she spent so much of her time in her kitchen making many yummy recipes that we all enjoyed so much over the years.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful remembrance. Those chickens are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You Mom was a very special lady. I truly miss her too! I have thought about you a lot today!!

    ReplyDelete