Wednesday, August 21, 2019

A Bookish Day

Tonight's photo shows what arrived by FedEx this afternoon.  It just awaits the young man who said that he would put together "anything" his Grammy needed to have put together!  Now we wait to see just how busy his schedule is!  He carried it in the house for me, but he had another obligation this afternoon and then had Wednesday activities at church this evening.  I have read that this isn't the easiest to put together and that it needs more than the Phillips screwdriver that the instructions say is "only" tool needed...that's the reason that I've enlisted Graham's help...but if he is too busy, I may have to begin and go as far as I can on my own!  I'll try to be patient! This island/cart will go at the window end of the kitchen.  I chose it because it had a drop leaf...I like drop leaf tables (have several), it is fairly narrow when the leaf is down, it has two stools that store/hang under it, and I want to be able to at least prop on a stool at times when I am cooking.  A stool will work well at my food processor lift shelf.  This will give a little more space to prep food as I can roll it up next to any of the counters.  I didn't just want a stool sitting out in the room, so this gives me a place to store two stools. And!  It is going to add a pop of color at that end of the kitchen as the base, legs, and stool legs are red.  So I see this piece as killing lots of birds with one stone!  (Esther read that saying about killing two birds with one stone just yesterday and I had to explain it to her!)

I headed out before nine to go to the Baptist Collegiate Ministry center to weed books for the BCM's new director (Nathan).  Woody planned to be leaving after I left to take his friend to a doctor appointment, but he got a call that it had been postponed. So he had to go give that message to his friend.  I rifled through lots of books...probably most of which college students aren't going to ever open.  We will weed a bunch this time through them and will probably weed a lot more at another time after Nathan sees if any of the books are ever used!  I'm going back in the morning to weed more books.

After lunch, Donna and I worked in the church library.  So I got s double dose of library work today. I also stopped by the place that we bought our appliances.  Our lower oven light burned out...ALREADY!  I had to come home and call in more information...model, serial number, and lightbulb number and size.  I got a message left on the phone, that they had this bulb and that I could come by and they would give me a new one!  I hope that they report it to GE...it certainly didn't last long!  And, it isn't easy to get out and out back in.  I had to get Nathan to get it out for me.  It's a tiny little bulb.  I rarely changed the one in our old oven...and it was just a regular bulb!  I think that sometimes old way is better!

I cooked supper and then didn't feel very well and so collapsed in my chair for a little while.  I may have just gotten too hot, as it is quite hot again today and Woody doesn't keep the downstairs very cool.  And, the afternoon sun was really beating in.  I hope that the shades that are supposed to arrive on Friday will help keep it cooler in there in the afternoon. We have insulated windows, but I can still feel the afternoon build up.  I went downstairs when I felt better and ended up watching Master Chef and then cleaned up the kitchen...so got a late start on the blog.  I'll post and then go down and add a couple of glasses I have upstairs to the dishwasher and then run it and I will hang up the "kitchen closed" sign!

No comments:

Post a Comment