Tuesday, August 27, 2019

There's a First Time for Everything!


Now what I am about to tell you, I hope will make you laugh.  I guess we can laugh now that we are at this end of this new experience.  We do not think that we ever got a utility bill this month...whether it got thrown away by accident or if it never got into our hands, we do not remember the bill ever being in our hands.  We got a "final notice" last week and Woody immediately paid it with e-pay.  Well, obviously they hadn't gotten the payment as this morning in the middle of Isaac's school time our electricity went off.  We just thought that it had gone out. But when Kathy and Nathan's wasn't
out we began to wonder and I was in the midst of calling the utilities number when Woody
discovered a notice on our front door knob.  Well, I still called and they hadn't received the payment and wouldn't turn it back on till they had money in hand.  So Woody headed off to take care of paying that bill a second time.  We have now actually paid three utility bills in the last few days.  As the day after we got the final notice, we got this month's bill (which had both bills on it).  He subtracted what he had paid the day before and paid the balance.  So I guess instead of being in debt to the utilities we "should" have a credit!  Brother!  What a mess.  I don't know if you are like we are...but we don't think about the bills until they are in hand and then we pay them and forget about them till the next one arrives.  So neither of us had realized that we had missed paying a month.  And, we still don't think that the bill ever got into our hands...but we will just forget it and go on...counting this up to a new experience in our 50 years of marriage!!!  Oh, and the electricity and water was back on by a little after 2pm.  Yes, we were without water, also!

Woody got the oil changed this morning...a planned part of his morning.  The side trip to utilities was
not planned!  I finished out the powerless/waterless school morning next door reading with Elijah and Esther.  We postponed Elijah's long time till the electricity came back on.  He and Joseph came over and he did a kinetic "sand" experiment.  We found one that used cornmeal instead of sand which I preferred in the new kitchen.  I will say that is hard for me to have a big mess made in the new kitchen.  This wasn't too bad a mess, but we still did have cornmeal on the floor, etc.  I have run the vacuum in there, but may mop this evening.  The new rolling island came in handy for the experiment and again this evening when We ended up with three little boys come over with their supper from next door.  Their parents and other siblings are in various places.  Abigail had a volleyball game out of town.  She went with a volleyball team member.  Kathy, Nathan, Graham, Joy, and Esther are at a banquet for the Motlow athletes.  I believe that it is a Baptist Collegiate Ministries event combined with a local church.  Tonight it is at our church.  Nathan, Kathy and the three older children are there to help set up, serve, clean up, etc.  Elijah stayed with us so he could go to his baseball practice.  Woody took him to practice and they are still there.  The two youngest boys and I
are hanging out at our house.  

I have also had an interesting day in the technology area of our household.  I continue to deal with the wifi problem with our stove.  I was contacted last night by email telling me "if this was showing on my range display" then this was the problem.  A new module will have to be installed.  I got a phone call this morning explaining more and arranging for things to be sent.  The module is supposed to be here tomorrow.  Then they have to arrange for a tech to come to install it.  Since we will have a tech perhaps he will do the oven light for me!  All these new experiences are just about too much for me!  Hopefully there will be less excitement tomorrow...and maybe we will be more aware of missing bills after this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment