Monday, August 5, 2019

An Early Knock on the Door—Day 56

This morning I was surprised when workers knocked on the door around 7:30.  It was our painting crew here to paint baseboards amend quarter round.  They caulked and spackled and then left mid morning to come back after lunch when the caulking and spackling had time to dry.  I had the job to find and/or buy paint to do the job.  I found one of the colors, but had to go buy the other color.  They were back around 1pm and worked till around 3pm and got the first coat of paint on.  Some don't need a second coat but some will and they will come back in the morning.  Today marks the end of eight weeks since the renovation project got underway.  Our contractor came by to decide what needs to be done to fix the leaking problem on the outside of the house.  He also came in and addressed the one problem in the kitchen. Woody picked up on this problem...the undercabinet lights were casting
shadows at the outer edge of our counters.  We finally realized that the strips of lights had been placed to close to the lip that hangs down on the upper cabinets.  That was an easy fix as they are peel and stick!  He worked a bit on the outside and got it ready for workers to finish it tomorrow.  Leak should be fixed tomorrow and painting should be done tomorrow.  All the items on my, as the contractor calls it, "punch list" have been marked off.  So I think that the end is as near as tomorrow.  We will both be so glad to have our house back minus workers!  And, just about everyone has told me that an eight-week turnaround for a remodel of a kitchen plus some other things done is very good in the renovating world.  I just know that I am happy with what they have done!  But I am very glad to be on this end of the time frame!  In some ways it seems like forever...and it has taken most of our summer as it started shortly after school ended and is ending just a few days before Dorrell Academy gets back underway.

While the preparation for painting was happening, Woody took his friend to run errands.  I headed off
to buy a quart of paint and then go pick up Abigail. This was the first day of Ray's Montessori School and Abigail started her second year of working there.  Her parents and brother wer out of pocket so I got to go pick her up.  It was fun to go in to pick Abigail up...lots of memories of first days of school there for me as I taught there for 27 years.   One of the current teachers used to pick up her niece and nephews when I taught there...now she teaches there and two of her grandchildren attend there. Two other teachers were students at the school when I was there...they now teach there and their children attend.  One of the teachers taught there when I was there and of course the owner who hired me is still there.  And, another teacher there I taught all her children.  So it is like old-home week when I stop by!  On the way home, Abigail told me that she thought that she had heard some of the other teachers talking and that this is the 50th year of Ray's Montessori!  I know that Melany started school there not many years after it began and she started when she was three...and she is approaching 50 (don't tell her that I told you!). So the 50th year is soon if not this year.

Woody has just returned from Monday night Furnace Room Prayer meeting.  So I guess that means that we are settling in for another quiet night.  "Maybe" I will be able to tell you tomorrow night that the renovations are totally complete!  I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment