Saturday, August 31, 2019

Another Saturday = Another Cooking Day

As August comes to a close, I have spent most of the last day cooking.  I realized that since Woody had bought quite a few strawberries that he was probably hoping for an angel food cake.  After I did a few things around the house, I got busy on it.  It went together quite easily...gets easier each time.  The only problem is that no time have the ones that I have made turned out exactly right except for one time.  You are supposed to cool them by turning the pan upside down over the neck of a bottle.  Doing that keeps it from settling down and becoming shorter and shorter as it cools.  I got the cake out of the oven, inverted it over the neck of a bottle and then turned my back on it to accomplish something else in the kitchen...probably clean up the cake mess so I could make another cooking mess!  When I turned back around the cake had fallen out of the pan and was hanging on to the bottle.  Not good!  In the end I had to go on and just let it cool on my cake plate.  And, it definitely was more compact and dense this time...but tastes good...so guess that is what counts.  You don't grease the pan so the cake can cling to the sides of the pan when it is rising while it cooks.  I don't know why today's pulled away totally from the sides of the pan when it was cooling.

Graham came over and fixed the lamp beside Goosey's (Woody's) recliner.  We shared a piece of cake  (really two pieces...after all he is a growing boy!)with strawberries poured over it with him.  He approved of the treat whether it came out right or not!  He's not picky!  He did a good job fixing Goosey's lamp, too!  Woody's glad that the lamp is fixed.

I made a couple of easy recipes that I'm going to need midweek this coming week.  I also cooked chicken thighs for tomorrow's lunch.  So hopefully I am ahead of the game when it comes to cooking for the first week in September!  I never stay very much ahead as what I make tends to get eaten...imagine that!  I do enjoy spending time in my new kitchen, but I really need to be working on cleaning the rest the house!  More fun to cook, but...

Woody made his weekly visit to the public library.  And, he ran the errand to get what Graham needed to fix the lamp.  He has spent the rest of the day inside doing crossword puzzles, playing Scrabble with the computer, watching some college football, reading, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment