Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Unexpected Day Off

This day didn't pan out the way we expected. When I was setting up Woody's dialysis this morning, I stated getting red 10 alarms...some were quick and reset by themselves and others had to be dealt with...but they kept coming back. In a half hour I got more than 10 of the same alarm. This is an alarm that our cycler machine has given us since the start...even when we were at the center. Our nurse said more than once that she wondered if we shouldn't get a new machine. Well, when I called the tech number, I think they saw how many times I have reported these before and had me do several things, but, when the alarm kept coming back, she said that she thought it would be best to abort today's treatment, which hadn't even begun, and order us a new one to be overnighted. It is to be here tomorrow between 2 and 6pm. Of course, nothing can be easy. I have an eye appointment that has been on the calendar for months at 2:15pm tomorrow. I think we have it set up so it can be delivered even if I'm not here. And, hopefully it will come before our nurse goes home from work! It isn't an easy set up...nor was it an easy take off. We had to take off all the accessories...like the IV poles, heater for manual bags, etc. I was able to get it all knocked down except for the piece that you have to turn the 75 pound machine over to detach something from the bottom. Our nurse came by and did that part and we had Woody's nurse visit here at the house rather than having to come into the center this month. I have said that I don't dare make an appointment for me as inevitably an appointment will pop up for Woody on the same day...and...proved true this time! The courier will call and Woody can direct him/her back to the family room. They pick up the old and leave the new all in one trip for the hemodialysis cycler machines. With the PD, a new one was delivered. We got it set up and put the old one into the box new one came in and they set it up to pick it up another day. Same company is doing this dialysis, but a different branch of it and they do things totally different. I don't know if we will have things situated to do a treatment late afternoon/early evening tomorrow or not. If we don't, we will only be doing 4 treatments this week. The nurse may have to talk me through settings if she is off work...the settings that are specific for Woody...then the tech folk can talk me through the rest of the set up. If the machine gets delivered before I get home from my eye appointment, Woody is supposed to call our nurse to let her know that we have it so she can see if she can fit us into what is left of her work day. Obviously today's labs were put off. We can still do them tomorrow even if it is too late for a Fed Ex pickup. They can be refrigerated till the pick up can be arranged for Thursday. Of course, we were planning on our other day off this week to be Thursday as Woody has an appointment with his surgeon who put in the graft. We will have to be up and going early that day in order to be at the doctor in Murfreesboro by 2:15...but we should be able to do that as long as "things" run smoothly with the new machine! Lots of "ifs!"I made banana nut bread today and a washed a load of towels...still drying part of that load. Even though I had a day off, I still didn't accomplish much. I told myself that I needed to make hay while the sun shines...but...well, the sun really never shone...maybe that is why I didn't get much more than usual done! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment