Saturday, March 27, 2021

Happy Birthday, Virginia Alice Cottey!

Today is the reason that Cottey College in Nevada, Missouri celebrates Founder's Day as close to this date as possible...it is our Founder's birthday. And, it seemed like a good excuse to make a small Texas Hot Cocoa Sheet Cake...any excuse for cake! Oh, and, by the way, Nevada is pronounced Nu VAY du! Just a bit of trivia...on the day that a Cottey trivia game was played between residence halls. My residence hall came in 2nd...there are only three residence halls! I even answered one of the questions that none in my group knew...right off the top of their heads. The question was when the Cottey yearbook name changed...and, I knew immediately because my first year it was one name and the next it was the other name. Perfect question for me to answer. We have had a lot of fun talking in Zoom groups...getting to know people from different years at Cottey. It has been a fun diversion and something different to do during these times of still staying mostly at home! And on a day thwt storms are supposed to be rolling through...the roughest yet to come...and the thunder is rumbling in the distance. Tornados and Cottey reunions sort of go together...one of the times that I got to go to a reunion...I flew into St. Louis and one of my Cottey suitmates picked me up and I stayed the night in her home and the next day she drove to Cottey. We had a great time...lots from my class and from my seniors' class were there. When we were getting ready in the motel to go to Cottey for one of the functions, all of a sudden there were tornado sirens and the police driving down the streets telling us to take shelter. I called the front desk to see where we were supposed to go...and to the sort of underground cellar we went...ended up having part of our reuion there...talkingto friends and singing Cottey songs. So I guess that I should feel even more that it is a Cottey reunion since we are in a tornado watch...conditions right for a tornado...hopefully the warning won't happen which means that one is sited on the ground heading our way! I do dislike tornado season!!! Melany tood me that they were all in the closet and an inside bathroom the other night as one was VERY close to them. Alex was in the meat freezer at Kroger, where he works parttime! Brrrrrrrrr! Woody has had a usual day...he spent some time upstairs with the computer and his crossword ouzzles. Then he has read, watched some March Madness, and, maybe dozed a bit or at least rested. Be safe! Be well! Be cautious! Oh, and, about my photo! Well, I am part of the reunion so I thought that I would show my face for a change. The photo that I am holding is one my father took when I was at Cottey...so it is an OLD photo of Main Hall...the center of Main Hall is the original building at Cottey...minus the third floor tower...that was added years later along withthe wings on either side...more trivia from this weekend about Cottey!

No comments:

Post a Comment