Saturday, December 16, 2023

Day 16: Christmas Memories

Tonight's memory is a bit of a funny one...definitely one memory that I will never forget! This ornament is Mount Vernon, George and Martha Washington's home. I try to get an ornament when we visit historical sites. But the year that we visited Mount Vernon was a very, very hot day and none of the buildings had air conditioning...made it more realistic...right!? Well, by the end of the tour of the house, I wasn't feeling very well and was ready to go home and couldn't face the gift shop...which was also hot. So we left without me getting a momento. I had always been a bit sad that I hadn't gotten an ornament to represent visiting our first President's home. A few years down the road, Nathan was assigned to Washington DC when he was a US-2 missionary. I asked him if he ever went to Mount Vernon, would he please get me an ornament. He had a break while he was still in Washington DC...long enough to make a trip home. He didn't tell us, but came home as a surprise. He arrived in the middle of the night and came on into the house without us knowing it. The next morning, I went to his room to get something and he popped up from the other side of his water bed...he had slept on the floor because since we didn't know that he was coming home, the heater hadn't been turned on. The surprise probably aged me quite a few years!!! But I was so glad that I had gone down to his room, as Woody and I were about to leave to go to Melany and Wade's! So he came along with us. That trip he presented me with this ornament...so this ornament is a reminder of our trip to Mount Vernon, but also of a REALLY BIG SURPRISE! This has been quite the day. We got up early, as usual for a Saturday. We left the house about 6am. I dropped Woody off at dialysis and then I went to WalMart to get envelopes that we needed to finish sending our Christmas letters. I found what I needed at Walmart and then headed down the street to Kroger. I got there a little before they opened so sat in the car for a few minutes. Got my groceries and then went home to put them away. After getting them put away, I made a pot of chili, the easiest of the recipes that I planned to make. I left in time to stop at the Post Office to get some more stamps, ran out of those also! Woody wasn't ready when I got there so I talked with one of the patients who goes in right after Woody gets out. Woody came out and we headed home. I got him settled and then I headed upstairs to go to my Zoom Cottey Alum monthly book club meeting. When that was over I came downstairs to fix lunch...well, dish up the chili...all that was done before noon today! Needless to say, I was tired so took a few short dozes this afternoon. Then I had to face cleaning up the mess made when I made chili. I got a late start on dinner and I was making shrimp scampi and rice pilaf...a little fancier than our usual fare. I told Woody that since we were eating a little fancier than usual that he could consider it his birthday dinner...we can drag out the celebration a bit! Well, while I was cooking one thing and getting the next ready, I heard a knock on the door. It was Abigail and Payton...a surprise visit...I guess tonight's blog is about surprises! They had come into town to look for Christmas lights and decided to stop and see us. I think that Abigail couldn't wait to show off her ring! We had a nice visit...found out more about how he planned his proposal! We will get to see them again tomorrow as we plan to get together with Abigail's family to celebrate Woody's birthday, which is on Monday...see spreading out the celebration! After they left, I finished up cooking our supper so we ate a bit later this evening. I am ging downstairs after I publish this and finish cleaning up the kitchen. I have the dishwasher already running, but I need to wash the hand washed things and wipe off the counters. Then I guess I will gather the things together that I will need to make a big pan of apple crisp for tomorrow's celebration and I have a few more gifts to wrap that I want to take with me to church tomorrow. To be continued! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious! 'Tis the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment