Friday, December 1, 2023

Day 1: Christmas Memories

I had this idea yesterday that I would share Dorrell Christmas memories each of the days preceding Christmas. i thought that I would start out with the first ornament that my parents got us for our first Christmas in 1969. I had trouble taking its picture as it is towards the top of our tree...so a little blurry...artistic blur? This is a little scene in a hen's egg...people walking towards the church and then the church and some greenery. This is a survivor ornament...as fragile as an egg shell is, this little ornament survived the year that the tree toppled over and broke many ornaments. Elijah put this on the tree this year. It didn't adorn a tree the first year, as we went to Arizona for Christmas that year. That is the only year that we went to AZ for Christmas when we lived in TN...such a distance...iffy weather conditions...and, it was really more fun to visit when there wasn't so much going on! I think that one of the reasons that I enjoy our decorations so much is that they are my memories of family...so many of them were given to me by family so as Inget them out and look at them during the season bring back family memories. I was telling Melany my idea avout sharing memories on the blog during December and she immediately came up with one...perhaps I will share that one tomorrow! Woody had a long wait and a long appointment at wound care. She feels like he may have an infection in his leg that isn't being touched by the antibiotic he is on all the time...so she wants us to make an appointment with his infectious disease doctor and she also wants to see an x-ray of his leg...so next week we will go to our local hospital to get the x-ray and I will ge contacting the infectious disease doctor. In the meanwhile, I have picked up another dressing duty...keeping antibiotic cream on the skin in the area that may be infected and keeping that covered with a bandage...so two bandaging jobs almost right next to each other...needing to keep the two areas separated! Fun and games...not! At least both bandages got changed today at the clinic. This was not a productive day for me, Christmas-wise. I do have all panels cut apart and ready to press and then stitch. I did stitch a little this afternoon on a Christmas gift...maybe it will get finished...slow go! I did run errands this afternoon after we had lunch and recovered from the doctor visit. I have given myself a December gift = I am starting a Christmas sampler...last night I dyed the fabric with coffee and tea and got a nice neutral color that is richer than the off white linen that I had. Before I poured the coffee/tea mixture out, i decided to dye another piece for use at a later time. That piece is baking in the oven as I write tonight's that supposedly sets the color and darkens it a bit more. I'm about finished with that part of the process. Next I will rinse it out and then hang it to dry. And, I did start my Christmas sampler...only a few stitches, but a start! Starts are something that many of us stitchers love to do...now finishing said start doesn't always happen! BUT...we have had the joy of starting a new piece! I have had this chart for some time. I bought it when Woody took me to a cross stitch store in Scottsdale, AZ when we were visiting my family...by the date on the sampler it was in the mid 90s...finally getting around to stitching it...almost 30 years after purchasing it! Woody is watching a nighttime game show...I hear him answering questions...so guess he is enjoying it! Another early morning for dialysis tomorrow...those early mornings roll around all too quickly! I'm hoping to get our grocery shopping done while he is at dialysis. To be continued! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious! 'Tis the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment