Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Day 20: Christmas Memories

Tonight I will go back to sharing ornaments that bring back memories of trips...note that I added an "s" to the end of trip! I think that just about my favorite place to visit is Colonial Williamsburg. Our first trip was with our children many years ago. Then Woody and I have made at least three other trips together and I made one other trip with the owner (my boss...she doesn't like me to refer to her as boss!) of the Montessori school where I taught for 27 years. The gold plated pineapple ornament I chose on one of my trips with Woody. Then the apple "tower" on the Williamsburg Christmas book, was one I purchased when I went with "my boss." The year that I went with Pat was for the Grand Illumination. On one of the trips with Woody I made arrangements with the museum to look at the samplers that they have stored in drawers out of the light...a white glov tour...a wonderful experience! The last time that Woody and I went to Williamsburg was after he was going to The National Instutes of Health (NIH). We made an overnight stop in Williamsburg and that time we arranged to stay in one of the historical homes that they use for visitors...another unique experience! I am enamered, I guess you could say, with the Colonial period of history...prerevolutionary time especially. I have read just about anything that I can get my hands on about Williamsburg...so when I am walking those streets, I feel like I am encircled in a history that I have been a part of! I would go again and again to Williamsburg, if I could! So when I see these ornaments that I purchased there, all sorts of wonderful memories flood through my mind! We have had a good day. Woody has stayed inside and enjoyed a crossword puzzle book that Melany gave him for his birthday. He has also enjoyed nibbling on various Christmas goodies...Jo's peanut brittle and then peppermint ice cream after he had a bowl of chili for supper. Maybe the holidays will add a few pounds to his too skinny body!!! I'm going to have my peppermint ice cream after I blog. I'm later because I had to change both dressings on his leg tonight and the dressings are done a bit differently now...not as easy as before, plus they have me putting on a leg compression sock type thing that is very long...from his foot to mid thigh...try getting that on smoothly! I am not good at that at all! They ordered new bandages for his lower leg dressing and the wrong size were sent...so I am improvizing as I don't think that the adhesive on the bandages are good for that part of his leg...we'll see if my way works! I need to get rid of some of the bandaging materials that have been accumulating...so using some of those till we go back next week...we'll see if they approve or not...it will depend on how his leg looks! I just think that I am irritating his leg more everytime I pull off the bandage that is stuck on with adhesives of some sort. I did my final grocery run prior to Christmas Day, I hope! I went to the Credit Union. In the morning, I will stop at WalMart after I drop Woody off for diaysis...then I hope to stay out of stores till after Christmas! I have done a little cleaning today. Since I wanted to run the vacuum in the kitchen after Woody's haircut last night, I just went on and gave the other downstairs rooms a lick and a promise vacuuming. Now to trudge the vacuum back upstairs where vacuuming is really needed. I have taken breaks today with just sitting and looking at the tree interspersed with a chapter or two in the new book that I'm reading. I have done a little straightening up here and there...trying to keep the downstairs Christmas ready so I don't have to do much just before Christmas morning. I have been planning how we will set up tables to eat lunch on Christmas. I will need to undecorate a little so we can use our old kitchen table, which is now in the living room and also remove things from the rolling island...and the biggest thing that I will need to do is remove all the medical stuff from the card table in the family room. We need the two tables to seat everyone and the island we will need to place food on. I need to get the rest of the gifts wrapped so I can clear the cutting table in my room...so I can put all the decorations that I am going to remove from said surfaces! What a mess I will probably create!!!! So far I am just thinking about the logistics for all this!!!! To be continued! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious! 'Tis the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment