Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Day 6: Christmas Memories

Tonight's memory is about family pets. We usually had cats over the years...one dog was a part of our lives until the kids were afraid to go out in the backysrd! We decided that he needed to be a farm dog...that he needed more space than our backyard gave him. Back to our cats...one year right at the end of the school year we got a kitten that the kids named Sugar...guess what color he was...well, I guess perhaps tonight's photo answers that question! I stitched this ornament in my early years of my stitching to represent Sugar. I put it in a bell ornament frame...when I see this I also think about the Aesop Fable about belling the cat. We had Sugar for several years, but he disappeared after we moved to the house we live in now. It's been a busy day. I had several duties around the house that needed doing...one was make Woody's breakfast sausage...another was vacuum up the threads in the living room where I had done part of a sewing project. I kept trying to get back to sewing, but other things kept coming up to do...including Christmas shopping for our family. I sat with Woody and looked up things that he wanted to get for various family members. His hands are sort of tied since his computer still is on the blink. So Insearched and he approved. By the time we finished, we had found gifts for the ones who were lacking in gifts...good to have that done...now to get them all delivered in a timely manner! After lunch we had a meeting with our financial advisor here at the house. Woody actually came out of the family room and sat in the living room for the meeting. It was good for him to have a change of routine and he got to see the Precious Moments Nativity (his favorite of our decorations) and got to see the tree and the other decorations between the living room and the family room. I try to think that he is more well than he is...but at the end of the meeting, I could tell that it had really tired him out. He dozed for a while after he got back to his recliner. He also is having sinus problems...runny nose and a bit of sneezing so that doesn't make him feel great either. I talked him into taking an allergy pill. I hope that helps him feel better. Once the meeting was over, I headed back upstairs with a load of clean clothes to put away and a couple of things that needed to be ironed...three of those things were Christmas gifts. I discovered that my iron is no longer among the living of irons. I hate it as I have really liked this iron and the last time I looked WalMart no longer carries this brand. And, I can't take the time to order as I need it for my sewing immediately...if not sooner! I can't sew without an iron! It was so close to dark when I discovered this and I had already covered the windshield and the back window with towels to keep frost off in the morning, that I decided to just do what I can with my projects and head straight to WalMart in the morning after I drop Woody off at dialysis. I had things all ready to make five ornaments...all the pressing to this point had been done and they were just waiting for me to take them to the next step. I have done that and as soon as I blog I will sew them up...but they will need to be pressed after turning them right side out. I "may" be able to do it...as I kept my iron before this one after it quit steaming...kept it for a dry iron. But I tried using it after I discovered the malfunction of my other one and it didn't work all that great even with a wet press cloth. Again, I will get them to the point that I need to iron them and then set them aside till after my purchase in the morning. I looked online to see what WalMart has for irons these days and have, I think, chosen the one that I want...now we will see if our WalMart really has this one in stock. I WILL come away with a new one no matter what tomorrow...I have three things that I want with the iron...a shiny bottom (none of that no stick stuff on the bottom), a pointy tip on the front, and one that steams. Price I'm not picky about, though I have found that cheap irons last about as long as expensive ones! I am not going for top of the line at WalMart as I have had that brand before and have not had the best luck with them...they tend to spit dark water all too soon. Ahhh...the woes of someone who sews...I go through a lot more irons than the general iron user! But there is still plenty to do to get ready for when I do have a new iron. I think that Woody is about to settle in for the night. I have a few dishes to add to the dishwasher and then I will start it...then once I'm sure that Woody is settled, it is back upstairs for me...first I will sew fronts to backs on five ornaments...then I will see what time it is. I am tired tonight...no time for a nap so far today...so it may mean an earlier bedtime tonight! We will be up and out of here early in the morning and it is supposed to be a cold morning...back to the upper 20s. Oh, big job done today without any effort on our part...the leaves that Nathan and kids and our neighbor have raked, mowed up, blown, etc. out to the curb got picked up by the city's leaf machine today...once again you can see he curb in front of our house. Always glad to get that pickup...just wish that all our leaves were down and all had been out there to be whisked away today...but that won't happen till Spring when our trees finally drop all their leaves. The leaf truck will be back one more time before Spring. Once in a while we get an extra pickup as we have more leaves on this side of town than those on the other side. To be continued! Be safe! Be well! B cautious! 'Tis the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment