Saturday, December 30, 2023

Day 5 of 12 Days of Christmas: Christmas Memories

Tonight's nativity items, again, remind me of friendship first as the Hasty's gave us both of these Nativities. The music box plays "Oh, Little Town of Bethlehem." The Lenox collector's plate is from Lenox's Nativity Vignettes: The Holy Family. Besides friendships all our Nativity scenes make me think back to the years that our church put on a Living Nativity/Night in Bethlehem. It was quite a production. I was part of the costuming when the production began. It was our church's gift to the surrounding communities. We had an actual bustling town of Bethlehem...vendors, tax collectors, animal keepers and all sorts of live animals...including camels and of course the actual Nativity scene with Mary, Joseph, baby Jesus, Wisemen, shepherds, etc. We also had performances by area church choirs, musical ensembles, monologues, and Nathan, Kathy and family put on a Christmas juggling performance. I hear often that it is missed. It became a tradition to attend for many families in the areas. Today was pretty much a usual Saturday dialysis day. When I got home from taking Woody to dialysis, I ate breakfast and completed my grocery list, then headed off to Kroger. I scooted through the store pretty quickly...trying to keep a low-key profile!!! The only comments that I got were from store personnel. One of the men in the meat department asked if I was okay. I assured him that I was and that this is what Grammy looks like when she gets run over by a reindeer...that brought a laugh from him. Then the long-time employee who checked me out commented on my "bad boo boo!" I will be so glad when this finally goes away! I will add a current photo of my boo boos at the end of tonight's blog. My bruises are getting better, but just not quickly enough! We have both had a lazy Saturday afternoon and evening. I know that I napped when I meant to be cross stitching...maybe I will get a few stitches in this evening. I did cook a ham after I got home from the grocery store. We haven't had a ham in I don't know how long...and probably shouldn't have this one. BUT...frugality took over my decision making at the grocery story. I decided that I wanted to make our Ham Barley Soup recipe which calls for a left-over meaty ham bone or ham hocks. I told myself that I should buy hamhocks so we wouldn't be tempted with wanting to make all the yummy ham recipes that I have loved to make over the years, but have stopped making because of not needing such a salty meat as ham. But when I could get a bone-in portion of ham for only $3 more than two ham hocks with not much meat...I just had to go the ham portion route. I plan to portion the ham out and freeze a lot of it and eat it over a period of time so neither of us will get a salt overload! I did have a half a ham sandwich for lunch. Woody chose another of the leftovers in the fridge. My other indulgence that I am going to "allow" us to have is a favorite New Year's tradition: Mississippi Caviar...a yummy concoction of black-eyed peas, jalapeƱos, onion, roasted red peppers, garlic and Italian dressing that you scoop up with Fritos scoops...again, I am only making a portion of the recipe so we won't overindulge! But I figure that Woody needs a treat once in a while! He sounded interested when I told him that I had gotten the ingredients. I am going to put that together before I go upstairs tonight so the flavors can meld together. This way we will have black-eyed peas on January 1, 2024...or, my...about time to make my mind think of a new year number! Woody has enjoyed football on TV today. So we are having a good ending to 2023...just sort of being lazy! To be continued! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious! 'Tis the season...still!

No comments:

Post a Comment